Oral lichen planus
06 Feb, 2018
Oral lichen planus is a chronic inflammatory condition which affects the mucous membranes inside the oral cavity. It primarily occurs on the cheek but is also seen on tongue, palate, gingiva and inner surface of lips. They appear as white or red raised lacy patches, swollen mucous membrane or open sores.
ETIOLOGY OF ORAL LICHEN PLANUS
- The exact etiology of lichen planus is unknown. Research has suggested that it is linked with cell mediated or autoimmune response.
- There are certain agents who trigger this condition like certain medications, mouth injury, and habits like cheek or tongue biting, infections or due to dental treatments.
- White or red colored tiny dots which form lace like pattern called Wickham’s striae.
- Painful ulceration or blistering occurs.
- Patient experiences metallic taste in mouth.
- Sensitivity to hot, spicy or acidic foods.
- Oral discomfort in patients with erosive and atrophic lesions.
- Burning sensation is also noticed.
- Oral lichen planus is not contagious.
- Secondary infections
- Stress or anxiety
- Sudden weight loss
- Oral cancer
- Biopsy is required to confirm Oral lichen planus with histopathological evaluation.
- The foremost approach is to eliminate all the local factors like removing any sharp edges on teeth or any broken restorations.
- Topical corticosteroids are used for treating mild to moderate oral lichen planus.
- In severe cases immunosuppressant like Prednisone is given.
- Avoid use of acidic or spicy food, caffeine and no alcohol or smoking.
If you notice any kind of symptoms in your oral cavity then do visit us at Dr. Sachdeva Dental Institute, well known dental implants in India for further information regarding this and get your treatment as soon as possible.
Dental Implants, Dental Implants in India, dental implants in delhi, dental implant clinic in delhi, best dental implant clinic in ashok vihar, dental implant clinic delhi